For 30 years, International Board Certiﬁed Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) have provided high quality lactation care and services to new mothers and infants. More than 22,000 IBCLCs practice worldwide as vital members of the health care team in hospitals, neonatal intensive care units, special nurseries, public health agencies, private clinics, government ofﬁces, and private practice. They work hand-in-hand with prenatal and postpartum
providers to help new families meet their breastfeeding goals, and to help hospitals establish and support protocols for exclusive breastfeeding.
International Board Certiﬁed Lactation Consultants are:
• Recognized the world over as possessing the only standardized, board certiﬁed lactation credential available
• Knowledgeable about up-to-date evidence-based practices in lactation as demonstrated through a rigorous exam process
• Experienced in a wide variety of complex breastfeeding situations
• Competent to assist mothers with establishing and sustaining breastfeeding, even in the midst of difﬁculties and high-risk situations that can arise
• Sensitive to the needs of both mothers and children as they work to help mothers meet their breastfeeding goals
• Ethical in their practice, abiding by Standards of Practice and a Code of Ethics and working within a deﬁned Scope of Practice.
IBCLCs Help Mothers With:
• Prenatal breastfeeding assessment and counseling
• Positioning and latch of an infant
• Prevention and management of maternal concerns such as breast pain and engorgement
• Establishing and increasing milk production
• Premature babies
• Infants with neurological deﬁcits or physical disabilities
• Suck difﬁculties that interfere with breastfeeding
• Conﬁdence to breastfeed for as long as mother and baby want
• Breastfeeding-supportive measures when mother and baby are separated due to work, medical, or educational issues
*Courtesy of ILCA.
Book a private appointment with our IBCLC's here